Grizzly Spun- $75 per student
Here we will create a fuzzy, grizzly, curly, crimpy, raw yarn all without using a drum carder. We will incorporate multiple techniques in the yarn including, but not limited to, tail spinning, core spinning,Navajo plying, and thread plying. You can also add a pop of color, sparkle, or fabric to your natural Grizzly yarn. It can be as simple or as complicated as you want. If you have a basic ability of spinning on a wheel and plying, you can spin a Grizzly yarn!
We’ll have a sharing table with fiber that you can donate to and grab from to add to the fiber you bring with you.
- Must already know how to spin basic yarn.
- Must have a spinning wheel.
Bring to class:
- Spinning wheel
- Any fleece you want to spin (Corriedale, Cormo, Merino, Alpaca, etc.) You can use wool top as long as you also have loose, uncarded fleece as well.
- Fleece with texture (Suri Alpaca, Alpaca with guard hairs, Gotland, Mohair curls, etc.)
- Locks long enough for tail spinning (Teeswater, Wensleydale, Cotswald, etc.) (longer than 1.5 inches or 3.8 cm).
- Any lace, fabric strips, or sparkle (Angelina or Firestar) you want to add.
- Core thread strong enough to not snap when you pull on it. (A non-slick thread would be best, not bamboo or silk for the core)
- Any threads you want to use for plying.
- it’s ok if your fibers are dyed, as long as you have a good selection that hasn’t been carded.
(If you register for both the Grizzly Spun and the Freeform Construction Workshop, you will get $20 off.)